MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN CARTERSVILLE GEORGIA
Some days you just can’t beat riding through the scenic highways in and around Cartersville, Georgia on a motorcycle but irresponsible and careless motorists are a danger to motorcycle riders when they don’t look twice to save a life. If you were injured in a Cartersville motorcycle accident due to the negligence of another driver, the motorcycle attorneys at Williams Elleby specialize in representing clients injured in motorcycle wrecks.
CARTERSVILLE MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT – SHOULD I GET A LAWYER?
When deciding to hire a lawyer to represent you in a personal injury case after a motorcycle accident, follow the following tips. If you are at fault in the accident, it is your responsibility to inform your insurance company as soon as possible and your insurer should hire a lawyer to defend you. If you sustained injuries in a wreck that was not your fault, you should hire a Cartersville motorcycle accident lawyer to help maximize your personal injury recovery.
THE 9 MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER AFTER A CARTERSVILLE MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT
- Call 911: Under Georgia law, drivers are legally required to report most motorcycle accidents that result in personal injuries or property damage in excess of $500.
- Get medical attention. Obtaining medical care for your injuries and records of your care is important when pursuing compensation after a motorcycle accident.
- Document the accident: Pictures can serve as vital evidence for proving fault and liability in a motorcycle accident.
- Exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver. Do not rely on a responding police officer to do this for you.
- Get the names and contact information for any witnesses. Independent witnesses can be an important asset to building a strong case.
- Notify your insurance company. In order to preserve your ability to bring an uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM) claim, you need to notify your motorcycle insurance company about any motorcycle accident soon after it occurs.
- Do not admit fault. Even if you think the wreck is your fault, don’t admit it at the scene.
- Keep an information file. Be sure to document everything after a Cartersville motorcycle accident. Keep a journal or binder with a log of every call, letter and email, and be sure to include all bills, records and photographs.
- Hire a motorcycle accident attorney in Cartersville. You can reach us at 833-LEGALGA (833-534-2542) for a free initial consultation.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE CLAIMS PROCESS AFTER A CARTERSVILLE MOTORCYCLE WRECK
There are three stages to Cartersville motorcycle wreck claims: (1) The Pre-Suit Stage (2) The Litigation Stage, and (3) The Trial & Appeal Stage.
During the pre-suit stage, your personal injury attorney will conduct an initial investigation of your case. This includes collecting all publicly available information such as the police accident report or 911 call recording, gathering documentation of your medical care, contacting insurance and seeking out experts to help reconstruct the accident.
Once your attorney has established an understanding of your medical diagnosis and treatment plan, a pre-suit settlement demand is typically offered to the responsible party’s insurance company in an effort to obtain a fair settlement offer. If a fair offer is agreed upon through this pre-suit negotiation process, the case is settled and your attorney will work to wrap up the settlement as soon as possible, taking into account any remaining medical bills or health insurance liens.
If a fair settlement offer is not made, the case will move out of the pre-suit phase and a lawsuit will be filed in the appropriate venue. For Cartersville cases, this will usually be the Superior Court of Bartow County. In this stage, attorneys from both sides will serve written questions, request documents and take depositions in a process known as discovery. Once this is completed, the trial judge may order the parties to mediation. If your motorcycle accident case does not settle during mediation, it will go to the third stage, a trial.
In the trial stage, your Cartersville motorcycle accident attorney will have organized all evidence, subpoenaed any witnesses and filed pre-trial motions. While this stage can seem daunting, a good attorney will work with you to make the process as unintimidating as possible. When selecting your attorney, it is important to make sure they have experience trying cases because he rules of evidence and jury trials can be complicated.