PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY SERVING ATLANTA
If you suffered an injury in Atlanta, Georgia, you might need a personal injury attorney. Our firm has a long and proud history of fighting for the legal rights of Atlanta injury victims. Our skilled attorneys are dedicated to helping Atlanta injury victims maximize their monetary recovery.
Your decision to hire a personal injury lawyer is critical, and should not be made based on advertisements alone. Every injury case is complicated; if you have questions about your chances of recovery, we are ready to answer them. At WILLIAMS ELLEBY, the initial consultation is always free. If you are not ready to take that step, however, our blog articles may be helpful and our YouTube Channel is full of videos with useful insights on how to deal with your Atlanta injury claim.
During our initial consultations, we receive a wide variety of questions. Below are some of the questions we field most often.
HOW MUCH DOES AN ATLANTA PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY COST?
Our firm operates on a contingency basis. That means that you will never owe us a fee unless we are successful in your case. Our attorneys are paid a percentage of any amount we recover on your behalf. That means you will never pay an up-front fee or attorney retainer if you choose to hire an attorney at WILLIAMS ELLEBY.
We believe Atlanta injury victims should never give up on a viable injury claim because they cannot afford to pursue it. That is why we advance all expenses and costs related to your personal injury case. If we are successful, these expenses will be paid back through the compensation we recover on your behalf.
If our Atlanta injury lawyers are not able to obtain compensation for you, then you will never owe us a dollar. No Recovery = No Fee.
HOW DO I FIND THE BEST ATTORNEY IN ATLANTA?
Identifying the right attorney for your injury claim can be difficult in the sea of lawyers that practice in Atlanta. Much more goes into finding the right attorney than choosing one based on their advertisements. Most attorneys you see on TV do not handle their own cases. If you hire an attorney, you should not have to worry about being pawned off to an associate with little to no litigation experience.
The best way to gauge an attorney’s skill and experience is by discussing your claim with them directly. That is why our attorneys always meet face-to-face with a potential client before they ever agree to represent them. The attorney-client relationship is a two-way street so both parties must trust and understand each other.
Before you meet with a prospective attorney, you should make a list of your questions before you head into your consultation. Some valuable questions to ask include:
- Have you handled a personal injury case like this before? It is important to ask for specifics to learn how an attorney handles a file.
- What is your caseload like? Some attorneys handle a small number of files and focus on them extensively. Others are inundated with files and hardly look at them all. Ideally, your attorney will not be bogged down with other cases.
- How many jury trials have you handled as lead counsel? Learning how much time your prospective attorney has spent in front of a jury is important. Real trial lawyers consistently obtain the largest recoveries for their clients.
- Will you personally handle my case? You deserve to know if the attorney you hire will be primarily responsible for your case. Some attorneys will pass off a case to a junior associate, while others will even farm it out to another firm entirely. This is important information to have before you make a decision.
- Can I have your cell phone number? You will learn a lot about your prospective attorney by asking this. Those truly dedicated to their clients will be available for them around the clock.
- Can you get me more money than other attorneys? An attorney can never guarantee a positive result. If an attorney tells you otherwise, it is time to keep looking for legal counsel.
- What problems do you foresee with my case? No Atlanta injury claim is perfect. There will always be some issue that must be considered carefully. The best attorneys will tell you their honest opinion of your claim instead of sugarcoating it.
- What percentage of your cases are referrals from other lawyers? Attorneys refer cases to each other all the time, especially when they are not experienced in that area of the law themselves. If most of an attorney’s cases come from other lawyers, that is a good sign of a strong reputation in the legal community.
WHAT IS MY ATLANTA PERSONAL INJURY CASE WORTH?
Curious what your Atlanta personal injury case is worth? That is understandable given the time and effort that can go into pursuing one. That question does not come with a simple answer. A variety of factors go into the value of an injury claim. Some of those factors include:
- The extent of your injuries
- Whether your injuries are permanent
- Whether you have any similar pre-existing conditions
- The amount of your special damages
- Whether you bear any fault in causing your injuries
- The county where your case will be tried
- The legal abilities of your attorney
While cases with a catastrophic injury could be worth millions, other accidents can involve thousands of dollars in compensation. Ultimately, your goal is to receive what is fair. That is why we work tirelessly to maximize your potential recovery. Our track record of success speaks for itself.
CAN I SETTLE MY ATLANTA PERSONAL INJURY CASE WITHOUT FILING A LAWSUIT?
The vast majority of Atlanta injury lawsuits are resolved before trial. In fact, many settle before a lawsuit ever needs to be filed. Our team will put in the work when it comes to pursuing compensation for your injuries. If settlement falls through, we are always prepared to take a case to trial.
The first step after our team takes over your claim is to send a pre-suit settlement demand to the at-fault person or their insurance company. These demand letters push the other insurance company to review the strength of your case. In many cases, they will make an offer to settle.
If a fair settlement cannot be reached following the demand letter, you will need the guidance of an experienced personal injury attorney to file suit against the responsible party.
The process of filing an Atlanta personal injury lawsuit is complicated and best left to a seasoned personal injury lawyer. If your attorney is unable to resolve your claim before filing suit, they should draft a lawsuit for you to review. Once the lawsuit is filed and served, the defendant will have up to 30 days to file their answer. The answer is a legal document that allows the defendant to admit or deny the allegations you make in your complaint.
Once the answer is filed, the next step is the process of discovery. According to Uniform Superior Court Rule 5.1, discovery takes a minimum of six months. During this period, both sides exchange written answer to questions as well as other documents. Additionally, the parties can take depositions of parties or witnesses in the case.
After discovery but prior to trial, most judges will require the parties attempt to resolve the claim through mediation. Mediation is a process where both parties sit with a neutral mediator in an effort to resolve the claim. A few well respected mediation firms in Atlanta are Miles Mediation, Henning Mediation, and Bay Mediation. If the case does not settle through mediation, the next step is a trial.
If you sustained a personal injury in Atlanta, reach out to a skilled attorney with WILLIAMS ELLEBY by calling 833-LEGALGA (833-534-2542) today for a free consultation. Can’t make it to us? We’ll come to you! Don’t hesitate to contact us about your claim right away.